Sunday, February 23, 2014

Scalloped Cottage Cream Dresser Details

 
Last month, I replaced my husband's little old dresser of 12 years with a bigger, more masculine piece, painted with love and even monogrammed just for him!  You can see his new dresser here.  The old dresser had a makeover this week and made it's way to my shop space at Camas Antiques!
 
 
Annie Sloan's butter yellow color called, "Cream" lends itself to the cottage style so well.  It seemed the perfect color for this vintage dresser destined for a cozy cottage one day soon.
 
 
The hand painted scalloped design in Old White adds just the right amount of subtle detail to the drawers.  Painting scallops is easier than you might think.  I shared my method in a blog post last year.  You can find it here
 
 
Rather than do any distressing on this piece, I kept my brush strokes uneven and laid the paint on thickly.  After a coat of clear wax, I worked some dark wax into my brush strokes to accentuate them and give the finish an aged appearance.  I typically go this route when painting over something that was previously painted in a color that I don't want to show through my new finish.  It works as an alternative to a sanded back, distressed look.

 
I hope this sweet little dresser reaches it's cottage destination one day soon.  I think it would be lovely in a cozy bedroom, nursery, or even a vintage inspired bathroom.  Dressers are so versatile.
 
Thank you for your visit today!
Have a lovely week!
 
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda
 
 

Sharing With:
Inspire me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life 
 Before and After Wednesday at The Decorated House
What's it Wednesday at Elephants and Ivy
Wow us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Inspiration Gallery at Craftberry Bush
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch To Yours
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground 
 Friday's Unfolded at Nancherrow