Thursday, October 24, 2013

Feathers, Boots and Chalk Paint®

 
Hi there!  Thanks so much for stopping by!  It's been a good day!  The sun is shining and I have neglected all of my household chores and duties to play with paint and feed my creative soul!  Tomorrow will be my catch up day...oh boy do I have some catching up to do!
 
Oh, but don't worry...I didn't neglect the children!  They spent the day with grandma! 
Thank God for grandmas!  Yay!
 
 
I picked up this little chest of drawers from a neighbor's garage sale last month.  He told me that it was his as a little boy and that his parents gave it to him unfinished.  It was his first furniture staining project.  I asked if he would mind me painting it...he said no.  I am sure he was just happy to have it out of his garage.  Still, I felt a little guilty painting over his handiwork.
 
 
These lovely feathers are the work of Martha Stewart Silkscreens available at Michaels Craft stores.  If you're unsure about silkscreens...they work similar to a stencil.  I had not had experience with them before this project.  The instructions talk about using a trowel or sponge, but I went ahead and used a paint brush, just as I would with a stencil.  It really worked beautifully!  The nightstand was painted in a 50/50 mix of French Linen and Old White Chalk Paint® Decorative Paint by Annie Sloan.  The feathers were painted in Old White. 
 
 
The pulls were in my stash of vintage hardware.  I tried painting some newer pulls but just didn't care for the look.  These large, ornate gold pulls really add to the funkiness of all the feathers and carry through the old world look I was going for.
 

 I have been dying to paint a pair of boots with Chalk Paint® for months now!  Finding a pair for a good price in my size wasn't easy.  Whenever I was out and about at the thrifts and antique stores, I was keeping an eye out for the boots!  Do you know where I found them?  They were in a friend of mine's space at Camas Antiques a few weeks ago!  Just my size and only $10!  Thanks, Michelle!
 
 
I had the hardest time deciding what colors to paint these boots!  I would love to have some cowgirl boots in Duck Egg or Aubusson Blue...next time!  I finally decided I had to start with pink!  So, these are my French Linen/Antoinette boots with stitched details in Old White. 
 
 
The boot bling is a versatile piece of jewelry by Mialisia that can be worn as a necklace, belt, bracelet or as a great way to dress up your boots!  I have a friend that is selling this jewelry, so I have invested in a few pieces and am really having fun with them!  If you're interested, you can check out Jana's Facebook page here.
 
 
This fun little chest of drawers is headed to the shop and the boots are going on my feet!  I'll try to post a photo of them on me sometime soon and I will let you know how they hold up after I've worn them a few times!  I have a lot of faith in the durability of Annie Sloan's waxes, so my guess is that my new pink boots will wear beautifully!
 
Enjoy the rest of your week!  Get out there and feed your creative soul!
 
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda
 
 
 
 
Sharing with...
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed
 Furniture & Paint Party at Start at Home
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch To Yours
What's it Wednesday at Elephants and Ivy
Anything Blue or Pink Friday at The Dedicated House
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground