Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Story of one Darling Little Commode

 
This darling little commode came home with me from a garage sale a couple of years ago.  I paid much more for it than I had ever paid for a piece of furniture at a garage sale, but I was excited to be able to buy such a high quality, antique piece.  I thought for sure I could resell it at the store, without having to do anything to it.  I was wrong...lesson learned!  It sat in my booth for months.  I marked the price down, and still no bites.  So, I brought it home and stuck it in our front room where it has served as craft supply storage for over a year now.  I loved the size, the fact that it was well over a hundred years old, yet still sturdy and functional, and I was just smitten with the beautiful brass drawer pulls.  It worked well in our front room, except for the oak finish.  It was okay, but I knew it could be better.
 
 
Last week I finally decided to give my little commode a makeover.  I started with one coat of Chalk Paint® Decorative Paint by Annie Sloan in Cream followed by a coat of Paris Grey.
 
 
  I decided to give this piece a heavy distressing to show off the Cream layer, as well as the original wood grain.  I think this finish really gives it an old Farmhouse feel.
 
 
As Paris Grey is one of my very favorite Chalk Paint® colors, I have used it numerous times on many different wood finishes.  Even so, I am still amazed at it's versatility.  Layered with the Cream, it takes on a completely different hue than a piece I have sitting just across the room that received two coats of Paris Grey paired with Old White accents.  And yet, they compliment each other so well and look beautiful together in the same room.
 
 
I just adore the pretty brass hardware on this piece.  I have been on the lookout for similar hardware sets to have on hand, for pieces I buy to paint that may be missing original hardware or just need a little extra something.  Listings for antique hardware on Ebay are selling for a pretty penny!  I was a little surprised.  It definitely makes me reconsider the value on a piece like this with all of it's original hardware in such pristine condition.
 
 
The "Pin and Cove" dovetailing on the commode drawers date this piece to the 1880's!  I think this is a work of art in itself and therefore I chose not to paint the drawer's sides.  I also like the contrast here when the drawers and cupboards are opened.
 
 
When I finished my distressing technique, I applied a coat of clear wax all over the entire cabinet, followed by dark wax in all of the corners and crevices, where dirt and dust might have collected over time. 
 
 
 I am loving this little commode's new look.  It is pretty close to perfection in our front room and for a few days I thought I would never be able to part with this piece...
 
 
 
 
 
Until...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Enter one very old, weathered, obviously been broken, discarded, repaired and broken again Eastlake dresser with beautiful spoon carved designs.  I fell in love, and the little commode is about to be loaded up in the truck and driven down to the shop.
 
Yep, I am fickle like that...when it comes to furniture.
 
The good news is, I know exactly what paint colors to use on this dresser...and just where it will go!  It is patiently awaiting it's turn in the furniture makeover lineup in our garage!  In the meantime, there is a hole in our front room!  I guess I better get back to painting! 
 
 
Thank you for stopping by today!  I appreciate your visit!  I hope you are having a wonderful week!
 
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda


 
Sharing with...
 
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed
Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog