Thursday, January 12, 2012

Outdated Artwork Redo

Ever since my chalk paint order arrived Wednesday night (yes, night...for the first time ever the UPS truck showed up after dinner...talk about a long day of waiting!)  I have been out in the garage painting every chance I get!  I wish I had a bunch of fabulous makeovers to show you today but most all of my projects are still in the works!  So, I thought I'd share a piece of updated artwork with you.  I found this print at the Salvation Army a couple of weeks ago.  The image really drew me in...I love the era, the clothing, the setting, the way the mother is lovingly looking at her handsome boy! 
The framing job was very well done, but everything about it screamed "1990's Home Interiors Party!" 
Right away I removed the print, matting and glass and painted the frame cream.  Just about the time the cream paint had completely dried on the frame, my Annie Sloan order arrived.  So, I experimented with the waxes...first clear, then dark, then clear again.  It was just what the frame needed to give it a nice "aged" look!  I must say though, I am new to this whole waxing process and it is going to take some practice!  I didn't do any sanding because I really didn't want that brassy gold to show through!  I think the book pages really bring the print to life!  I tried very hard to line up the pages so that the margins were the same width on all sides...giving the allusion of a double mat.  The only way to do this on the bottom was to turn the pages upside down.  So, the bottom half of the matting has upside down print, but I decided that gave it an artistic twist.  Haha!  For now, I am enjoying this updated art print above our living room mantle, but it will eventually end up at the shop... because as much as I love this print, I have since found something that I love more!  And that is a really wonderful benefit of being a Treasure Broker!
Thank you for your sweet visit today!  I hope you have a lovely weekend!
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda


I will be sharing with these fun parties:
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Potpourri Friday at 2805
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Wow us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Fridays Unfolded at Stuff and Nonsense
White Wednesday at Faded Charm