Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Are You Shocked?

Well, I surprised the heck out of myself when I made the offer on these two totally-not-my-style pieces of furniture!  They are dark wood and I have no intention of painting them (though the thought definitely crossed my mind!)  It was the intricate carved detailing that drew me in and I knew that if I passed on these, I would regret it.  Standing alone, they looked a bit masculine, but I had a feeling that with some romantic touches, they would work with my feminine style.
Time and time again, girlfriends say to me..."I would love to decorate my home in a soft, pretty romantic style, but my husband just won't have it!"  Here is a great example of how two very different styles can compliment one another and suit everyone!  My husband definitely approved of this purchase and would have liked to have kept the desk but our house is pretty full and at this point I don't have anything I'm ready to part with to make room!  So, I added these two  antique beauties to my shop space last night.
After much anticipation, my favorite Eden roses are finally in bloom!  I think this pretty teapot bouquet could make any piece of furniture look elegant and romantic!
Book bundles!  I was hesitant to rip covers off of books, but I did it and have to say...I love the look!  Thank you to all of you lovely blog buddies for the creative inspiration!
A couple of the desk drawers had numbers stamped into them...how cool is that?
I wasn't able to find a lot of information on the Internet about this furniture specifically but I did confirm the manufacturer, Life Time Furniture of Grand Rapids, Michigan and that they were made between 1920 and 1930.  I love researching vintage finds!  I just wish I knew more about these pieces!
The carving on these cabinet doors is what initially attracted me to this piece.  And then, the doors were opened and I got excited about all of the storage and display possibilities!
Remember when I said I had bought a box of sheet music last week?  I finally dug into it and just look what I found...Printed in Paris, 1933! 
More unusual storage and organizing possibilities in the dresser cabinet.
And here are a couple of shots of my display at the shop after a few hours of fluffing, rearranging and doing my thing last night!
I had my doubts...I really did.  But after adding some feminine accessories and surrounding them with creamy, romantic pieces, I am pretty happy with my latest furniture purchases!  

Thank you for your sweet visit today!  I hope you are having a lovely week so far!

Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda


Linking up with these fun parties:
White Wednesday at Faded Charm
Treasures and Transformations at Pink Postcard
Tuesday's Treasures at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage
Treasure Hunt Thursday at Blue Creek Home
Vintage Inspiration at Common Ground
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home