Thursday, January 27, 2011

Creating a New Mantel Vignette

Our living room is sparsely furnished with a Victorian settee, two blue wing back chairs, a vintage secretary and my repurposed crafting cabinet.  I suppose that doesn't sound sparse, but it looks a bit bare to me...like a few key elements are missing.  Perhaps a coffee table, end table and a rug would finish it off.  Half of the pieces we have in the room were handed down from my parents, the others were Craigslist purchases.  I actually love the wing backs and settee from my mom and dad.  They have loads of character and good bones...just not my choice of upholstery.  As my budget does not allow for a total room makeover at this time, I am hoping to do a little here and there throughout the year to give it a more romantic cottage feel.  This week I worked on the mantel.  I pulled things from around the house to give it a completely different look.  Inspired by many of the beautiful decorating blogs out there, I looked at the mantel as I would a surface to display my treasures at the antique store...an opportunity to create a vignette.  I have more freedom here than I do in the family room where as previously mentioned in earlier posts, there is a flat screen TV just inches above the fireplace mantel...aack!  We had some lovely sunshine streaming through the windows this morning which made for pretty natural lighting ...and I remembered to change the white balance setting on my camera this time.  I noticed that one of my posts last week had some photos with a really blue  hue to them....oops!  I am still learning! 

I am on a quest to find some pretty pussy willow branches (real or faux) for the creamy pitcher.  I was in a hurry to get something in there so I grabbed some low branches from our magnolia tree for temporary filler.  I don't love the look, but now I am curious to see if the buds will open up...so I'll leave them there for a few days at least.


Oh how I love bunnies!  They definitely multiply around my home in the spring, but it is not uncommon to find them here and there during the winter months as well!


My mom bought this darling little tussy mussy for me at a flower show a few years ago.






I am loving the covered book trend that seems to be the newest fad in decorating!  I did up a few of these fabric covered bundles for the shop this week...and one for myself!


This sweet little quail is so special to me.  I often admired it in my Grandma's home when I was little.  I wish I knew more about when and where it was made...all I know is that it was Grandma's and I will always treasure it!
Thank you so much for your visit!  Please head over to My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday, Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday and How Sweet the Sound for Pink Saturday...These ladies really know how to throw a linky party!

Best wishes always and God bless!
Amanda